newsweathercommunity

Vic teen driver sentenced for fatal crash

A Victorian teenager who fled after the stolen car he was driving killed a motorist will spend at least four years in detention.

The 18-year-old, who can't be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to culpable driving causing death over the crash that killed Timothy Jellis, 25, in October last year.

The teenager, who was 17 at the time, also pleaded guilty to theft and burglary for a botched break-in he and two others were fleeing moments before the crash.

A Victorian judge on Wednesday sentenced him to a maximum of six years, with a non-parole period of four years.

The judge ordered a significant part of his sentence be served in a youth detention centre, rather than an adult jail.

The judge said he was pessimistic about the teen's prospects of rehabilitation.

"For a young person you have shown little regard to correct your situation and take positive steps towards rehabilitation," he said.

"Your future is bleak unless you change your attitudes and behaviour."

Mr Jellis was driving home from a party about 1am on October 24 when the stolen car ran a red light at 100km/h and crashed into his vehicle in Sydenham.

He died instantly.

Two other co-offenders who were in the car, both 17, have already been dealt with in a Children's Court.

They pleaded guilty to trespass, car theft and failing to render assistance in relation to Mr Jellis' death.

The teens admitted smashing glass doors with a crowbar as they tried to gain access to Westgardens Shopping Centre before they were interrupted by a security guard.

They ran to a waiting car - a stolen luxury sedan worth more than $70,000 being driven by a third teen - and sped away.

It hit Mr Jellis' car soon afterwards and the trio fled.

One of the passengers made full admissions to police the next day and agreed to give evidence against the driver.

He was ordered to complete a 12-month youth attendance order.

Another 17-year-old who pleaded guilty to the same charges was ordered to serve six months in a youth justice centre.

Both teens had their driver's licences cancelled for four years.

The 18-year-old has been banned from holding a licence for three years.

© AAP 2016