Wings bags of cash L

Wings bags of cash R

tasmania news pageheaders

Coronavirus 628x90

Household's narrow escape

Firies

A barking dog is being credited for saving the lives of a southern Tasmanian household, waking them up after a wood heater ignited a chair in their living room.

There were no smoke alarms installed in the home on McCallums Road at Fentonbury.

Regional fire investigator, Station Officer Adam Doran said the occupants were lucky to escape the fire alive.

"The home was not fitted with working smoke alarms, and considering the fire started in the same room the occupant was sleeping in, if they weren't woken by their dogs the consequences could have been much worse.

"TFS recommends that working smoke alarms are installed in all sleeping areas, hallways and at the top of starts. This included lounge rooms if they are ever slept in.

"Anything flammable must be kept at least two metres from a heater," Mr Doran said.

In a separate incident, an investigation's due on Tuesday into a blaze that destroyed a home on Tecoma Road at Risdon Vale on Monday afternoon.

There's also an appeal for tip-offs from Burnie CIB after a truck was torched on Upper Stowport Road early on Tuesday. 

Police and fire crews were called to the burning Kenworth around half past midnight.