tasmania news pageheaders

Fridge fault destroys house

Fire that wiped out a house in Hobart's Mornington last night is found to have been caused by an outdoor fridge.

An investigation concludes the fire broke out in the base of the fridge and ravaged the Akora Street property, the loss estimated to be $500,000.

Tasmania Fire Service Fire Investigator Tim McKay said "while there is nothing to suggest the appliance which caused last night's fire was not in good working condition prior to the fire, I do encourage people to ensure that all household appliances are regularly checked to ensure they are in good working order."

"While thankfully the occupants of the house were not home at the time of the fire last night, this is an opportune time to remind everyone of the importance of having a well-rehearsed evacuation plan and to ensure that all homes are fitted with working smoke alarms," said Mr McKay.